Contact us
Day trip to Queenborough, Kent
There were no prepared walks available in this area so one was assembled using pavements and public footpaths. The 8km stroll through an urban and semi-urban environment was surprisingly interesting.
The walk began at The Aviator, a pub formerly called the Lady Hamilton, but renamed to celebrate the achievements of early avation on the Isle of Sheppey. Surrounded by  photographs of local flying machines and their pilots we ate  adequate, but not over-exciting lunches. The pub was clean and friendly, though,  and provided fuel for the walk ahead.

From the pub the route headed east towards Halfway Houses. On the right side of the road there were houses, but to the left there were grassy fields dotted with horses and cattle and offering views towards Sheerness. A left turn by the pub in Halfway Houses took the walk on to quite a busy road that passed a derelict dairy and then on past a holiday park towards the canal.  This canal, known as the Queenborough Lines, was constructed in 1860 as a moat to deter possible sabotage to  munitions depots in Sheerness. The stroll southwest on the raised bank of the canal is rewarded by views across the marshes of Sheppey and the distant hills of the Kent mainland. There were many friendly folk encountered on this part of the walk which ended in a housing estate with many tattooed limbs on show.

A footbridge over the railway provided the exit from estate and then a main road was negotiated to begin a very different section of the walk. For about 1km a public footpath wended it's way between old concrete sea defences and reclaimed land that had become an enormous car park for imported cars and vans. Eventually the path reached the coast, and the walk alongsise the estuary was the highlight of the trip. Oystercatchers and other wading birds fed as the tide receded  and the Council had thoughtfully provided many seats to allow a leisurely enjoyment of the interesting waterways and mudflats. 

The final leg of the walk headed towards the centre of Queenborough past some splendid late Georgian and early Victorian buildings, plus a brief detour along the pretty creek, and then on to the centre of town where a turretted castle  graced   the grass mound from the 14th century until it's destuction in 1650. The final point of interest before the short walk through the denseoly populated outskirts of Queenborough to the Aviator is the old railway station. It's an architectural gem of the 1860s and well worth a closer look.    
Queenborough Lines looking NE Alongside Queenborough Lines Rural side of Queenborough Lines
lsle of Grain Medway Estuary  Coastal Queenbrough
 Queenborough Guildhall  Creek in Queenborough  Queenborough Station

London Google
Powered by Google

(C) Copyright 2014
Blog | Twitter | Reviews | Day Trips | Gallery | Daily Photos | Nature Videos
Disclaimer: This product is produced independently to the highest professional standard. However, despite assertions to the contrary, the reliabilty of all forecasts decreases with time